Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Now characters are helping me write whole scenes!

I feel a lot like this chick...being dragged around and forced into submission by my characters...I thought I was the brains of this operation!  (Oh well...I think I kinda like it!)


Wow...long time no post, and I apologize for that! I've been a busy bee lately, and not with writerly type things, which sucks.

Anywho, I'm off work today and that's usually when the extra creative juices start flowing. Well, it happened again less than an hour ago. I was working on a scene for book 1, and the character I mentioned in my previous post (my Angel, Alexander Absolon)suddenly injected himself into the scene! This wasn't even a scene that initially had ANYTHING to do with him at all! Now that he's in it? Well, it wreaks of brilliance (his words, not mine).

This is EXACTLY why I'm such a big advocate for plotting, outlining, and character developing BEFORE the actual writing begins. When the characters write the story, it really takes a lot of the work off of the writer. If the characters aren't well defined before the writing begins, then how can they be expected to help? It IS their story, after all.

I'm off to write some more!

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A CHARACTER/CHARACTERS TAKE OVER AND RE-WORK THE STORY TO THEIR LIKING? DO YOU LET THAT HAPPEN, OR TRY TO FIGHT THEM FOR CONTROL? IN OTHER WORDS: ARE YOU JUST AS INSANE AS I AM?

1 comment:

  1. Uh, does the waking up married chapter of DE ring a bell? It totally wasn't planned. :) I just started writing and then all of a sudden there was a ring and another ring and an "oh shit" then when it was done I sat there thinking, "Crap... now what?" :)

    ReplyDelete