Sunday, September 12, 2010

Characters who write themselves...




This is something I've heard from other writers but never experienced myself...until recently.  I'm currently working on book 1 (of 7) of The Sanguine Chronicles and as I work on the plot, I'm developing the characters.  Well, one of the characters that's REALLY been pushing his way to the forefront is the guy who's actually already been slated to be the male lead in book 2.  He's an angel, but I call him my "wicked angel".  He's a bad boy when it comes to the ladies and he knows that he's got "the right stuff".  I've never EVER contemplated writing a cocky (well, not in the arrogant sense anyway) male lead for a romance.  Arrogance is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to men.  But that's just the thing with this character - he knows EXACTLY how he wants to be written.  Well, it just kind of snowballed from there - his lead female is a Shade (of course), but this one's the product of a witch coupling with a human...well, I don't want to spill the beans just yet, but her "witchy-ness" plays a big role in knocking my wicked angel down a few pegs.  One thing I want to make clear - my angel is NOT a "Fallen Angel".  He's not a demon either, although there is one waiting in the wings for this series (I think he's slated for book 4).  Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to share that I've finally gotten my first 'direct-hit' for a character.  He knows exactly who he is.  And YES you will get to meet him in book 1.  He's got so much awesome personality that I've got him sprinkled in for a really fun part.  That said, his female won't show up until either the veeeery end of book 1 or maybe not even until book 2.  She's also been very interesting.  In my head, they're already having their romance, and let me tell ya - they're PERFECT for each other.  I'm extremely excited about the second book...in fact, getting to write it will be my reward for finishing the first one!

And yes...he looks like Nick Carter in my head...picture him with more muscles, a near-constant half smile, and a wicked Gaelic accent...mmmmmmmmmmm....#NewPanties!

SO, HAVE YOU EVER HAD A CHARACTER WRITE HIM/HERSELF?  DOES IT HAPPEN FOR YOU OFTEN?

No comments:

Post a Comment