Saturday, November 6, 2010

New Writer Syndrome


LOVE this!

I know, I know - I'm supposed to be blogging every MWF, but yesterday was insanity on stick for me.  I got home from work and immediately crashed.  Also, this week's blog was supposed to be on Purple Prose, but I've decided to discuss something different today. 

As a new writer, it's great to see so many resources for writers online.  Probably the best source I've found have been blogs by other writers.  They've been so helpful to me that I've decided to pay it forward with my own writing-dedicated blog.  And who cares if no one's reading my blog?  It's a great learning tool for me and it's nice to have a place to put all of my thoughts and concerns. 

When I'm not blogging or working, I'm writing and I absolutely love doing it.  There are few things more exciting than brainstorming and coming up with new ideas.  Actually getting these ideas down in a cohesive and exciting way (er...I think that's called writing) is the hard part.  I like to think that I have a great imagination.  I've looked around and there's no one else out there who's done anything quite like my story. 

So, what's my problem?  I've got a serious case of "New Writer Syndrome" or NWS.  I have a lot of doubts about my current place in the process.  I'm at the very beginning stages and I have the whole gauntlet ahead of me.  I tried to cheer myself up by re-reading Stephanie Meyer's description of her road to publication.  Yeah, cheer me up it did NOT.  Her road was a lot less bumpy than the other stories I've heard.  It's like she sat up in bed after having this crazy dream about a sparkling, day-walking vampire and his co-dependent girlfriend, jotted it down, sent it to agent who helped her tweak some character names, and then almost immediately got a movie deal.  To be honest with you, it kind of pissed me off.

Why?

Well, not to sound like a brat, but my idea is a LOT more exciting than Twilight in my opinion AND I'm a better writer.  PLUS, none of my characters (hopefully) will be as annoying as Bella Swan.  Even with all of those factors, I know that my road to publication probably won't be that easy, and who knows if my book will ever even see the light of day. 

Every now and again it's easy to get disheartened, but I have to remind myself that I have a truly kick-ass idea.  I just need to write my story and then worry about putting it out there.

My real life job is in property management and real estate sales, so it's easy for me to think of my writing career in similar terms.  A writer's product IS their imagination.  When you're selling a product, sometimes the first person you have to convince to buy into it is yourself.  Staying invested, especially once those rejections start rolling in, is the key.  If you give up on yourself, so will everyone else.

Also, just a reminder:  I REALLY need a critique partner!  REALLY REALLY bad!  Please check out the "My Writing" page and let me know if you'd be interested in crit-partnering for my YA Fantary-Horror series, The Faerie Tale Chronicles!

WHAT DO YOU DO TO STAY MOTIVATED AND FOCUSED?

1 comment:

  1. Advice for staying motivated and focused?

    1. Put your blinders on. Eyes forward, no looking around comparing yourself to others. No looking around and tearing others down, either. I don't think you have trouble with that, but honey, let me tell you, some people make up for what they lack in writing with a hefty dose of bitchery.

    2. avoid the kind of people I described above.

    3. You're bound to get feedback you agree with, feedback you don't want to admit you agree with but kind of do, feedback you want to agree with but can't, and feedback that demoralizes you to the point of binge-eating cake in secret. Learn the difference between these. Learn now how to differentiate between them.

    4. You should always listen to what someone has to say about your work. Agreeing with them is optional.

    5. Write every day, not just fiction, but whatever. Anything. Everything. Take half an hour, put the TV on mute, and describe what's going on. Take a walk and think about words. How would you describe a hat, a tree, that dog, the fence around that house, is it a Craftsman, Victorian, Rambler, what does stucco feel like to you, to her, to me, to him...this is your voice. Recognize it. Use it. It's the most important tool you've got.

    6. Don't hesitate, waffle, or ask for permission. Decide, commit, and ask for forgiveness if it doesn't work out.

    7. Making mistakes is the only way to ever learn how to fix them.

    Phew. That's all I've got. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete